Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Humaine Klinik Bad Saarow

Well, I have now officially had my first experience with a German Emergency room. Yesterday afternoon I fell on the ice and caught myself with my right hand. It was really a cartoon fall, the only thing that was missing were the bongo drums as my feet slipped on the same place a good three or four times before falling. Oh, it was in the middle of the school courtyard, too, in front of approxomately the entire student body. Anyway, I convinced myself that it wasn't that bad, and went on with my two lessons. After which my elbow was completely swollen, and I couldn't really move it at all. Great. Well I got my stuff and went home and asked Klaus if he could find a doctor for me and take me there. Of course at this point it is 3 o'clock on a Tuesday, so all the normal doctor's offices are closed. So we had to go to the emergency room at the closest hospital, in Bad Saarow. After a total of almost 3 hours waiting time for two x rays and a bandage, I got sent home again with three extra strength ibuprofen and phone number to call in the morning to see when I should come in to the D-Arzt. Since I fell at school it is a work related accident, and I have to go to the doctor for that. I got there around 9:30 and had to wait again. Even though this is a hospital, it's also for a small area, so there is actually only one waiting room for the emergency room and the other doctors, and there were multiple people who we recognized from last night who were all back too. When anyone walks in or out of the waiting room, everyone greets them, and they have to greet back, of course. When the doctor saw me this morning, he didn't take any more x-rays like they said might happen, and actually only needed me there to see my elbow and to giver answers like "yes, it hurts there." The rest of the conversation was directed at the secretary who typed up a report of everything that was wrong with my elbow. I now have a pretty ugly elbow brace (dirty gray with blue stripes around the elbow. If I was athletic and had this as a battle wound, it might not be so bad, but as it is, I am really glad that I have to wear long sleeves.) Today my arm can already move more than yesterday, so I am hoping it will continue that way and heal quickly. After coming home I managed to get my arm in the sleeve of my coat for the first time since I fell, so that was also an improvement. Anyway, that was sort of the shock of the day, and hopefully of the week. I need to walk very carefully across the ice to class now, and I hope that all of you are warm and well.

No comments: