Sunday, April 02, 2006

Sunday in April

Well, let's take stock of the day. Overall, I feel pretty good about it.

The sun was shining again this morning, so I went out to drink my coffee on the little stoop I have. In my pajamas, naturally. And who walks by? One of the boys from my 7th grade class. Just walking down the street like a 13 year old does, singing to himself and whacking a twip into everything in arm's reach. He noticed me just as he walked behind my neighbor's hedge, stopped, walked backwards, looked to make sure it was me, I waved, he waved embarrassed back, went back behind the hedge, and took one last peek before he walked away. Oh, small towns.

Marlies invited me over for lunch, and we got to eat out on the porch again, where I first had coffee with them 7 months ago, and where we havn't been able to sit since october. That was fine, Marvin her grandson has a "real" bike now, only he hasn't figured out brakes. So he didn't want to sit at the table during lunch, because he wanted to carreen across the yard into the bushes or the carport, yelling, of course. We wanted to take him for a short bike ride, but he had to go. Marlies and I decided to go on a short one hour bike ride together. We turned back after Philadelphia to ride across the salt meadow fields, and my bike stopped working. the back wheel was completely turned, and the chain was off the gears. So we had to push it back. That is when we realized that neither of us brought our cell phone with us, or any money to put in the pay phone (not to mention no bike tools. But a tire pump and an umbrella we did have). So we couldn't call someone to pick us up when we got back to the road (because we were on a muddy path in a field), we had to walk all the way home. We left my bike in the bike stand at the grocery store.

When we got back, we had coffee and cake, and it took Klaus like, 5 minutes to fix my bike. Naturally. After coffee we went to Lars's lot to dig up crocuses and plant them in my part of the yard. Only it started to rain when we were there, and we went inside the little garden house, and Marlies and I had a completely new plan of how to set it up, with exposed beams and a sleeping loft. Once the rain was over we walked back and planted the crocuses, and now I am here on the computer writing to you all about it. I am sort of tired after pushing a bike a few kilometers with a back wheel that didn't turn, but overall, I think it was a good day. Hope to hear from you soon.

No comments: