Monday, October 10, 2005

A Note from Berlin

Well, the project week is over. It was exaughsting, but I'm glad I did it. I volunteered as translator during any tours we took, since the groups from Poland and the Czech Republic couldn't actually speak German as well as they said they could. In some cases, they couldn't speak German at all. And there was some confusion about whether or not we were all working together, or if we were the hosts and they the guests, in which case we should do all the cooking and cleaning. It wasn't very satisfying in the meeting people from other countries part, all the countries were pretty clique-y. But I got to know the Germans a lot better, and it will help to have some more familiar and friendly faces in the classrooms. And now I know just how difficult it is to paddle a canoe (my partner and I had to separated part way through because we couldn't stop turning in circles) and how nice it is to come home after a 25km bike ride. I have seen a lot more of this part of Brandenburg, and it kept me busy during the first week of fall vacation. Saturday evening I was at a 50th wedding anniversary party. I sing in a choir here, and one of the members just had her 50th anniversary, and it is quite standard here to throw a big party. If the choir isn't invited, they show up anyway, sing a few songs, have a glass (or two) of sekt, and then leave. But this time we were really invited for the dinner and everything, and it was a really nice time. I swayed along with the whole table as they all sang drinking songs along with the music, and came home with a purse full of the small bottles of liquor that the waiters kept bringing around (sleeping drops, as one helpful lady at the table said). It was a fun time, and I'm glad I had the chance to see a party like that, another chance isn't likely to come my way soon.

This is the first day of the second week of vacation. Jason, my friend from Wooster, is coming to visit. I thought at first he was coming for a day, but it turns out his ticket was from today until sunday. Only, he flight got messed up, and now he is coming tomorrow. Still I am looking forward to showing him a little of Germany while he is here. I don't know when my next update will be, hopefully no later than next tuesday.

Happy Birthday, Dad!

No comments: