Tuesday, February 28, 2006

A note from Lübeck

Good morning everyone! Yep, made it through the last week of classes for a while there, and am now in Lübeck. Where it is snowing. I am not amused. What I have seen of Lübeck so far is very pretty. The city started in the middle ages on an island in a river, so the oldest part is very compact with great picturesque side streets, etc. The youth hostel is quite nice, and the kids havn't been too awful yet.

Today we have polish lessons, then a scavenger hunt through the city (and the snow....) and then tours of the Gunter Grass House and the BUddenbrooks House. The kids have to complete various presentations by the end, and so there is lots of time set aside for group work. And for going out and having fun, too. Lübeck is known for its marzipan, and THE marzipan store is having its 200th anniversary tomorrow. So another teacher and I are going to make a point of checking that out.

One complaint is that the internet is pretty expensive at this hostel, probably to keep lines from forming. So I will probably write again when I get back, but if you have the time I would love to hear from you. Hope all is well and that you have a good Fasching (Mardi Gras), even if the folks up here don't seem very excited about it, and that I will hear from you soon.

No comments: