Monday, March 13, 2006

Back at school

Well, after a lovely two week break, it is time to get back to work here in Storkow. The school trrip to Lübeck was very nice. Lübeck is a lovely old city, and even though there wasn't a lot of gelling within the group (as was hoped) I think everyone learned a fair amount, and had a good time. Even if all they remember is that Thomas Mann might have been gay, and that Günter Grass thinks that mushrooms are phallic.

Last week of course was when James was here to visit, and when I had my Fulbright conference in Berlin. Visiting with James was, of course, wonderful, and made me wish I could show you all Storkow and my friends here. The conference was alright. It was great to get to be in Berlin for four days and visit all the parts of town I know. But even though there were a lot of people at the conference, almost all of the talks I went to were pretty sparsely attended, which was disappointing. But it was good to get away for a week, and it was good to hear other people's horror stories and be reminded of just how good I have it here.

One aspect of the last week that I didn't find so charming, but my guest from balmy Atlanta did, was that it snowed. All week. We havn't had snow like that for like a month. I didn't think we were going to again. But we did. A lot of it. And it will stay... certainly all week. And I think we are supposed to be getting more. At least today the sun is shining a lot.

Oh! How could I forget? I got a very lovely valentine's day package from the church last week. It was so exciting to get snacks from home, and to know that I am in your thoughts. I am trying not to eat everything up all at once! Thanks for thinking of me, it really means a lot.

Now that I am back with fairly regular internet access, I will try and be better about staying in touch. Do write when you can, I miss hearing about all the stuff that is happening at home.

No comments: