Friday, June 09, 2006

WM-mania

Well, for those of you not living in the land that is hosting the World Cup and somehow missed it, today is indeed, the day that has been anticipated at least as long as I have been here, the opening day of the World Cup. It took less than 10 minutes for me to be reminded of it today. I turned on the radio and boom, the first words out of the announcers mouth (and repeated about every 7 minutes, not counting the commericals that reminded you too) were "today is the opening day of the world cup". bizarre. Have I mentioned what a big deal this is here? You can get just about anything in a Germany and/or a football version. There is football bread. There is football butter. There is football nutella. There are football sausages. Just about everyone is an official sponsor of the German national team, and has big flags on it (very very rare in Germany otherwise.) Tonight the game starts at 6 oclock and I imagine for the next 90 minutes plus some, absolutely nothing else will happen. ALthough apparently a lot of stores are staying open later than usualy during the world cup. Maybe it is because they lose all the business during game time, and to make it up, they are open later. What I didn't hear is if they are closing while the game is on. It seems like a distinct possiblity.

I am taking a trip to Halle on the Salle this weekend, and I am looking forward to it. We would have left tonight, but we couldn't leave early enough so that the husband in the couple I am travelling with could be in Halle in time to see the game. So we have to leave early tomorrow morning. At least this way I can spend the evening with my frinds here in Storkow, as they all watch too.

Alright, need to go, a class is coming into the computer classroom. Hope to hear from you soon!

No comments: