Tuesday, September 13, 2005

I'm here! (and in the library)

I am writing to you from the library in storkow. I got here no problem, the only problem is that there is no phone line, and naturally no internet, in my apartment, and i have no cell phone still. I am hoping I can get some of that changed in the next few days, but there's really no telling. Apparently my landlords figure that if I have my own phone line I will call home too much. Mostly though, I want a line so I can call at like midnight, when it is a good time to reach my folks at home.
It is really pretty here. I have borrowed and ridden (?) a bike already... that sounds funny. and it is so great to ride a bike where it is flat. it was really cold yesterday, but it is warm and sunny again today. We went to the foreigner registration office today, and they basically could do nothing besides give me a form to fill out and tell me to come back in a week. whoopee.
the apartment aside from the phone thing is really nice. small, but nice, I don't think I'll feel too alone there ever, which is a good thing.

but yeah, this is a tiny tiny town. everyone really does know everyone else. My hosts, the florschüzt family is great though. the parents are like... late fifties? early sixties? and their son that lives with them is like 30. but some of my dishes say "made in the GDR" and that made me really happy. But the place is beautiful, lots of windows and natural wood. The ceilings are wood paneled, which is a little funny, but makes it very cozy. the kitchen is tiny. the stove is two electric burners, and there is no oven. there is a small sink, and a fridge that fits under the counter. that's about it. a lot of the dishes are kept in the living room, because there isn't enough cabinet space in the kitchen. the bathroom is tiny, too, but that means there is less to clean, which im ok with. The living room has a two person table that mosly fills the room. there is a sofa, and a cd player, and a tv that is apparently sort of confusing to use. There is a wall with shallow shelves, and that is great overflow storage space. The bedroom is separated from the living room by a door with glass window that has curtains on both sides. there is a big double bed, but one set of pillows and sheets. there is a desk and a wardrobe, too, and the entire far wall is a bank of windows. it's realy pretty.

Anyway, I should go and get shopping. I need something to cook for dinner tonight! I will try and post more later, and eventually will get to like, pictures and stuff. Bis später!

2 comments:

JoKeR said...

It's so good to hear from you. I'm looking forward to hearing about your week of training as well as how you're settling in.

Alex is busy working video for 7 stages and I might actually have some work (if they can find some money).

Miss you! Love you!

Fabulous Geek said...

even though I'm busy video opping for 7 stages, I'm not too busy to read and comment on your blog.

I'm glad everything is going so well, and I hope it all continues to be so.