Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Long Weekend

This was my first three day weekend since I got here, even though that is how it is going to be the rest of the time. Marlies and Klaus's grandson was visiting this weekend, Marvin. Marvin is 5 and quite a handful. It's tricky to talk to him, first because he's five, and the art of conversation isn't really there yet. And he makes mistakes sometimes, and I don't know if I misheard him, or if he's really wrong, or if it's just another construction that I don't know. Usually he's wrong. Still, he's a sweetheart, and came with on all of our fieldtrips. Saturday there was a Harvest Festival in Friedersdorf, just down the road. Marvin came with Marlies and Klaus and I. There was a parade with everyone's horses either decorated or pulling decorated wagons, and then came the tractors, also decked out in the best this harvest had to offer. A lot of people wore traditional costumes or just clothes typical for a farm a hundred years ago. It was really neat, and it's fun taking a little kid to a parade. He alternated between standing on the trashcan so he could see over everyone's heads and running up to the edge of the street to collect candy that was being thrown to the kids in the crowd.

Sunday we planned to take a bicycle ride after lunch, but Sunday morning Lars collapsed while working in the garden, and when he went to the doctor, the doctor sent him right to the hospital. We were all pretty worried, but it looks like it's nothing worse than too much stress at work overwhelming him. He has to take a week off of work, and get some more tests, but they let him go from the hospital the same afternoon. Then Monday we were going to go to Ikea after Marlies went to the doctor early. Well, that appointment took hours longer than she expected, and it turns out she's going to have to have surgery. She's hoping to be able to put it off until after Christmas, if at all possible.

After she got back though we did make it to Ikea, which was really fun. I now have a new bookcase, laundry basket, and dishwashing brush.

Today is the first day of my real schedule, although it's already been changed once, and other parts of it aren't happening today for what must be like field day here. All the seventh and eight graders are having sport competitions. I have gotten most of the books I am going to need for all the classes I'll be working with.

So far, we have had a lovely mild start to fall. Mostly still very sunny and warm. And the local folklore says that if it starts like this, it will stay that way, and we will have a mild winter. No way to know for sure, but I can hope. :)

Another bit of good news - I've already gotten paid! I thought it was going to take much longer, another couple of weeks at least. But once I told Fulbright my bank account information, it only took a week for the money to get to me. Which is awesome.

This is the last week before our two week fall break. The first week (next week) I will be working with the Schülerclub from this school and two other clubs from schools in Poland and the Czech Republic. This is the third time that these three schools have met, and this time they're meeting here in Storkow and taking lots of field trips to various important sites regarding water. I think it will be fun, we'll see a lot of great stuff. We have to sleep on the floor in one of the buildings here... I may see about sneaking home one or two nights, but otherwise it will be great. And I will be completely provided for with meals and everything, and all for free. The Student club program is apparently very well funded, and can take another student along no problem. Anyway, most of next week I expect not to be able to get online. And that is why.

On thursday this week I've been invited to go see a play premier in Berlin with the drama class. I am really looking forward to it. Drama kids are always fun, the teacher seems really nice, and I havn't been back to Berlin yet since I got here. And all I saw before that was what i could see from the train as it drove through town.

I think that is all I have to say for now. Hope all of you are well, and know that I think about you often.

No comments: